Holli CostedioBusiness Manager (Interim CBO)
An executive position, the Chief Business Officer (CBO) leads efforts related to financial and risk management aspects of Unity College. The CBO works with senior leadership to establish strategic direction and leads execution of the budgeting process, return on investment modeling, financial management, financial planning and reporting, auxiliary services, and institutional risk management. The CBO works with the President and senior leadership to continue to transform Unity College from a college with a strong regional presence to a leading national institutional of higher education. The successful CBO will provide the college with grounded creativity through proven strategy, data based decision-making, and innovative thinking. Within the framework of functional leadership, the CBO supports and is supported by other senior level leaders and works with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission and Strategic Plan. The CBO reports to the President.
1. Leads financial planning, reporting, and management at Unity College and ensures achievement of institutionally established goals for each.
2. Provides support to senior leadership to integrate curricular, co-curricular, and residential components into a transformative and developmentally differentiated living and learning experience through the educational framework of sustainability science.
3. Develops financial and risk management plans that advance the institution’s strategic plan and mission, ensures attainment of revenue goals, protects and differentiates Unity College, and increases its national exposure.
4. Evaluates and advises on the financial and risk management impacts of long-range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory action.
5. Provides timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the President, other senior executives, and the Board of Trustees in performing their responsibilities.
6. Enhances and/or develops, implements and enforces policies and procedures of the College by way of systems that will improve the overall financial accountability and transparency allowing managers the ability to maximize use of their resources.
7. Provides monthly financial updates to allow President and Sr. Staff the flexibility to understand availability of financial resources for strategic investment.
8. Participates in continual improvement of the budgeting process and educates budget managers regarding financial issues.
9. Provides strategic financial and risk management input for issues affecting the organization, i.e., evaluation of potential alliances, acquisitions and/or mergers, investments, etc.
10. Optimizes bank and deposit relationships and initiates appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
11. Develops a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
12. Acts as institutional agent for filing of financial reports including taxes, audits, and others as assigned.
13. Develops return on investment budget models and works with project managers to produce return on investment and margin-based budgets.
14. Reviews potential contracts and provides recommendations for executive decisions.
15. Provides training and support in assisting budget managers in building annual budgets.
16. Manages strategic plan initiatives and goals as assigned.
17. Provides informed, effective, and collaborative leadership within a model of functional leadership and shared governance.
18. Directly supervises departmental managers in related areas. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the institution’s policies and procedures, laws, and regulations.
19. Achieves institutionally assigned goals for functional areas of administration.
20. Establishes and maintains departmental plans for each supervisory area including goals, measurable outcomes, assessment plan, budget, timeline, and benchmarks for each.
21. Establishes business protocols, standards, and procedures for all supervisory areas and works with Data Governance Committee and other campus groups to ensure best practices.
22. Advocates for institutional resources to create and maintain high quality departments and programs and manages the budget for areas of oversight.
23. Manages financial, material, and personnel resources in accordance with governance policies and in alignment with the Strategic Plan.
24. Continually assesses and strengthens all phases of each functional area to improve processes and efficiencies.
25. Works to maintain a campus culture of customer service and advocates for student success.
26. Represents the college in formal and informal presentations and through networking as needed in related functions.
27. Serves as a member of Senior Staff.
28. May serve as staff liaison to a standing committee of the Board of Trustees at the discretion of the President.
29. Supports institutional sustainability initiatives and values as a senior member of the college.
30. Contributes to the college’s commitment to safety by using safe work habits, using ergonomics and proper lifting and biohazard protocol as appropriate. Assists other leaders in managing workplace safety.
31. Assumes responsibility to maintain and upgrade professional knowledge and skills with regulations, industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws.
32. Serves as a role model for the college’s standards of conduct.
33. Performs other duties as assigned.
First among equals for the budgeting process, return on investment modeling, financial management, financial planning and reporting, auxiliary services, and institutional risk management.