Dr. Rana JohnsonChief Diversity and Inclusion Officer (CDIO)
As Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer at Unity College, Dr. Rana Johnson is first among equals with regard to campus diversity and inclusion, international relationships, internal trainings, and establishing and maintaining a welcoming community culture.
Dr. Rana Johnson comes to Unity College from The Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education where she served as Senior Associate for Diversity Outreach and Special Programs. At the CPE, Rana’s primary responsibilities included guiding efforts to increase access, retention, and the success of students that have been historically underrepresented in undergraduate and graduate education.
Prior to her position as Senior Associate, Dr. Johnson assisted with the development of the Partnership Agreement with the United States Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, as well as the management of the Kentucky Plan for Equal Opportunities in Postsecondary Education.
Rana Johnson is a graduate of Spalding University, a 4-year private liberal arts institution in Louisville, Kentucky, earned a master’s degree from Eastern New Mexico University, and her PhD from the University of Kentucky. Dr. Johnson’s dissertation research focused on adaptation strategies to retain and graduate diverse students from traditionally white institutions.
The Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer (CDIO) leads efforts to establish Unity College as an internationally diverse and inclusive leader among environmental institutions of higher education and to maintain a constructive and inclusive institutional culture and community at Unity College. The CDIO collaborates with senior leadership to establish strategic direction and leads execution of diversity, inclusivity, and culture and community initiatives at Unity College; international partnerships and programs; as well as select special project opportunities. The CDIO works with the President and senior leadership to continue to transform Unity College from a college with a strong regional presence to a leading national institutional of higher education. The successful CDIO will provide the college with grounded creativity through proven strategy, data-based decision-making, and industry-disrupting invention. Within the framework of functional leadership, the CDIO supports and is supported by other senior level leaders and works with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission and Strategic Plan. The CDIO reports to the President.
- Leads campus culture, diversity, inclusivity, employee trainings, international partnerships, and select special projects at Unity College and ensures achievement of institutionally established goals for each.
- Advocates for institutional diversity, inclusion, and positive culture and community.
- Advises, supports and implements the vision of the President’s Office on all areas of diversity.
- Establishes an emotional connection for employees, execs, and the organization as a whole.
- Partners with Chief Marketing Officer to integrate college diversity goals into recruitment and positioning plans and strategies.
- Partners with Chief Student Success Officer and Senior Staff to prepare and execute a comprehensive diversity, inclusion, and community culture plan that aligns with the Unity College Strategic Plan and includes a timeline with benchmarks, success metrics, and associated budgets.
- Partners with HR Director to integrate college diversity goals into staff and faculty recruitment.
- Works with senior leadership to identify internal culture and community building opportunities and executes development of new initiatives as assigned by the President.
- Prepares and executes a comprehensive, revenue generating international partnerships and programs plan that aligns with the Unity College Strategic Plan and includes a timeline with benchmarks, success metrics, and associated budgets.
- Manages strategic plan initiatives and goals as assigned.
- Ensures achievement of annual diversity, inclusion, and culture and community targets.
- Provides informed, effective, and collaborative leadership within a model of functional leadership and shared governance.
- Provides supervision, managerial oversight, and day-to-day execution for assigned functions.
- Develops policies and procedures.
- Directly supervises departmental managers in areas related to diversity, inclusion, culture and community, and international partnerships and programs. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the institution’s policies and procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Establishes and maintains departmental plans for each supervisory area including goals, measurable outcomes, assessment plan, budget, timeline and benchmarks for each.
- Establishes business protocols, standards, and procedures for all supervisory areas and works with Data Governance Committee and other campus groups to ensure best practices.
- Advocates for institutional resources to create and maintain high quality diversity, inclusion, culture and community, and international partnerships and programs, and prepares and manages the budget for areas of oversight.
- Manages financial, material, and personnel resources in accordance with governance policies and in alignment with the Strategic Plan.
- Continually assesses and strengthens all phases of each functional area to improve processes and efficiencies.
- Works to maintain a campus culture of customer service and advocates for student success.
- Represents the college in formal and informal presentations and through networking as needed in diversity, inclusion, culture and community, and international partnerships and programs related functions.
- Serves as a member of Senior Staff.
- May serve as staff liaison to a standing committee of the Board of Trustees at the discretion of the President.
First among equals with regard to campus diversity and inclusion, international relationships, internal trainings, and establishing and maintaining a welcoming community culture.