Erica HutchinsonChief Fundraising Officer (CFRO)
Unity College Chief Fundraising Officer, Erica Hutchinson, leads institutional efforts focused on alumni relations, major donors and donor relationship management, annual fund, and other giving programs. Erica has worked as a development officer at Unity College since 2013. Her expertise includes donor cultivation and relationship management, budget development, strategic planning, donor database management, and event planning.
Before joining Unity College, Erica Hutchinson was the founding Development Director at the Charlotte White Center in Bangor Maine. Previously, Hutchinson held positions as Children’s Case Manager / Family Support for the Charlotte White Center and as Director of the YWCA Wing Park Children’s Center for Eastern Maine Medical Center.
Hutchinson completed graduate coursework in Child Psychology at the University of Maine at Orono after graduating from Colby-Sawyer College with a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Development.
Erica is involved in her community in ways ranging from serving as President of the Maine School Board Association to participation in the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association as the owner of a family farm. She loves to garden, hunt, and fish. Erica lives with her family on their small farm in Hampden, Maine.
The Chief Fundraising Officer (CFRO) leads fundraising and giving efforts in support of the mission of Unity College. The CFRO works with senior leadership to establish a culture of and strategic direction for philanthropy, and leads execution of fundraising, alumni relations, and donor relations and management efforts. The CFRO works with the President and senior leadership to continue to transform Unity College from a college with a strong regional presence to a leading national institutional of higher education. The CFRO will be the first among equals for functions like alumni relations, major donor cultivation, planned giving, the annual fund, and development services management. The successful CFRO will provide the college with grounded creativity through proven strategy, data based decision-making, and innovative thinking. Within the framework of functional leadership, the CFRO supports and is supported by other senior level leaders and works with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission and Strategic Plan. The CFRO reports to the President.
● Leads fundraising efforts at Unity College and ensures achievement of institutionally established fundraising goals.
● Provides fundraising support to senior leadership in efforts to integrate curricular, co-curricular, and residential components into a transformative and developmentally differentiated living and learning experience through the educational framework of sustainability science.
● Develops and executes an integrated college fundraising and philanthropy plan that provides financial support for the institution’s strategic plan and mission, helps ensure attainment of revenue goals, fosters student satisfaction, differentiates Unity College, and increases its national exposure.
● Coordinates with President and senior leaders to identify emerging college needs and priorities which may require targeted, private fundraising efforts.
● Oversees institutional relationships with potential major donors, including regular communications and ensures stewardship in recognition of donor philanthropy.
● Maintains own prospect portfolio and meets annual goals as set by President.
● Establishes communication and events plans related to fundraising and alumni relations. Provides resources, information, input, and support to marketing and events departments on execution of same.
● Manages annual and special campaigns, corporate and foundation support and reporting, major and planned giving.
● Oversees planning and execution for alumni relations and giving programs designed to maximize alumni support for Unity College.
● Manages and analyzes research for development efforts utilizing donor and prospect database.
● Manages strategic plan initiatives and goals as assigned.
● Provides informed, effective, and collaborative leadership within a model of functional leadership and shared governance.
● Is directly supportive to President and President’s Office in matters related to Board of Trustee relations and business, as needed.
● Provides supervision and managerial oversight for fundraising, alumni relations, and other functional areas as assigned. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the institution’s policies and procedures, laws, and regulations.
● Establishes and maintains departmental plans for each supervisory area including goals, measurable outcomes, assessment plan, budget, timeline, and benchmarks for each; continually assesses and strengthens all phases of each functional area to improve processes and efficiencies.
● Establishes business protocols, standards, and procedures for all supervisory areas and works with Data Governance Committee and other campus groups to ensure best practices.
● Advocates for institutional resources to create and maintain high quality departments and programs and manages the budget for areas of oversight; manages financial, material, and personnel resources in accordance with governance policies and in alignment with the Strategic Plan.
● Works to maintain a campus culture of customer service and advocates for student success.
● Represents the college in formal and informal presentations and through networking as needed in related functions.
● Serves as a member of Senior Staff.
● May serve as staff liaison to a standing committee of the Board of Trustees at the discretion of the President.
● Supports institutional sustainability initiatives and values as a senior member of the college.
● Contributes to the college’s commitment to safety by using safe work habits, using ergonomics and proper lifting and biohazard protocol as appropriate. Assists other leaders in managing workplace safety.
● Assumes responsibility to maintain and upgrade professional knowledge and skills with regulations, industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws.
● Serves as a role model for the college’s standards of conduct.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
First among equals for functions like alumni relations, major donors and donor relationship management, annual fund, and other giving programs.
The Unity College/Up East education and research partnership was started in 2014 as a way to leverage the rich natural and cultural resources of Allen Island toward advancing solutions-oriented research through Sustainability Science.